Charles Burtis Robbins

Compiled by Kara Seager-Segalla

Posted on, last updated 2006-01-11

Used by permission


ID: I0133

Name: Charles Burtis ROBBINS 1

Sex: M

Birth: 21 SEP 1834 in Reckleston, Burlington, New Jersey, USA 2

Death: 10 NOV 1905 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA 2 of Typhoid pneumonia

Burial: A30, 59, 5, Logan City Cemetery, Logan Cemetery, Logan, Utah

Occupation: Postmaster, store keeper, fire chief

Religion: L.D.S., original pioneer to Calif. in 1846 & to Utah in 1853

_NAMS: Pietro Caesaro Alberti (Burtis), first Italian settler, who landed in N.Y. June 2, 1635


Charles Burtis Robbins, Original Pioneer to California in 1846, Original Pioneer to Utah in 1853, Compiled by Maude Bliss Allen, Edited with additions by Kara Seager-Segalla, 1999

Charles Burtis Robbins, son of John Rodgers Robbins and Mary Shinn Harper Burtis was born the 21st of September in the year 1834 at Reckles, Burlington County, New Jersey. This town was later renamed Chesterfield. He descended from early pioneers of New Jersey and New York, some of whom were Quakers, settling in the New World as early as 1639. Among the noted ancestry of early American history, are the Antrim, Rodgers, Herrall, Burtis, Longstrett, Shinn, Venicomb and many other lines. To ponder over this list of families, it is with pride one may recall the stability and purpose of these families and their great contribution in settling this country. Stalwart, untiring leaders of a new nation, they left through their descendants a priceless heritage to America, which today, shows out in the successes, deeds, and accomplishments of many leading citizens, who claim these people as their progenitors.

The earliest rendering of the family name has changed several times since 1452 and was originally from Northern Italy from the "Tribe of Robins". An early name was "Ro-bynes" and dates from the battle of Hastings. "Bynes" appears as a Norman word meaning "town", "village" or "hamlet", and "Ro" as a prefix similar to the Scotch "Fitz" or "Mac", meaning "of" or "up". Thus "Ro-bynes", meaning "of town" or "up town". The first person so named was of French extraction and came to England in 1066 with William the Conqueror in the capacity of gamekeeper. The name "Ro-bynes", "Ro-byns", "Ro-bins" appears until about 1700 when nearly all simultaneously adopted the form "Robbins" or "Robins".

Charles Burtis Robbins is also a descendant of Pietro Caesaro Alberti, who was the first Italian-American. Pietro Alberti was from San Luca, Italy and settled in New Amsterdam in May of 1635.

The first child born of the marriage of John Robbins and Mary Burtis was Zilpah, who died in her infancy and was named for her maternal grandmother, Zilpah Shinn. In 1834 Charles Burtis Robbins was born. He was just a little over two years old when his mother passed away on the 17th of October 1836 in Burlington, New Jersey. Fourteen months later, the 26th of December 1837, his father married Phebe Ann Wright, daughter of Mahlin Wright and Ann Wilgus, born the 27th of Feb. 1812 in New Jersey. By this marriage there were born six children, four of who died in their infancy.

In the fall of 1839, John Robbins was converted into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and his brother, Isaac, also became a member. Because of the persecutions in New Jersey, John Robbins and his family moved to Nauvoo, Illinois. John Robbins's property in Nauvoo was on lot 25 of the Kimball I plat. Charles grew up in Nauvoo and saw his father leave home to attend the "School of the Prophets" and was present in Nauvoo, when the Prophet Joseph Smith was martyred. He was also present during the troubled times that followed.

While most Saints moved to the Rocky Mountains by traveling overland from Nauvoo, a group of Saints traveled a sea route. The Church authorities contemplated an experiment in transportation of the Saints to the western part of the continent by water. They decided to send a sailing vessel by way of Cape Horn to the West Coast and chartered a ship, called the "Brooklyn", to make the voyage. They persuaded Captain Richardson, a very capable and temperate man, to remain as her Captain on this trip, knowing him to be a very capable and reliable man. Samuel Brennan was to be in charge of the Saints. The ship was a sailing vessel of four hundred and fifty tons. The Church secured her for the sum of $1200 per month. The number of ship's passengers was numbered seventy men, sixty-eight women and one hundred children. The fare was fixed at $500 for each adult, one half fare for children under fourteen, and $25 was paid for provisions for each child under five years of age.

On the 4th day of February 1846, John and his brother, Isaac Rodgers Robbins, with their families set sail out of New York Harbor with the company of Saints on a 24,000-mile journey to the coast of California. Charles would have been eleven years old at the time. They headed south on a voyage, that was sad, perilous and of long duration. Less than three weeks after their departure, black small pox broke out among the passengers. They were closely crowded in the heat of the tropics, and had only bad food and water. People kept to their staterooms as much as possible, but the disease spread rapidly. First one and then another of the saints was taken by this plague. Charles would watch the men as they tenderly placed the heavily wrapped bodies over the side of the ship. With a prayer upon their lips, they would lower the bodies to their last resting-place. The Robbins family wondered how the loved ones could stand it, and then death suddenly struck their own little family. On the 28th day of February, Charles's half brother, George Edward Robbins, died of scarlet fever after an illness of three days. He was aged 5 years and 18 days, and was buried at 316 N. long. 25 W. They traveled on and again the death struck. Another half brother, John Franklyn Robbins, died of consumption, March 14th at age 1 year, 5 months and 16 days. He was buried at lat. 15 30 S. Long. 32 W. In all, 11 people died.

The trip was long and difficult. After leaving New York harbor they followed the trade winds and made their first stop at Cape Verde Islands to get supplies, then headed for Cape Horn. Terrible storms overtook them as they neared the Cape. The waves were so fierce, and the ship was tossed so terribly, that the women and children had to be lashed to the poles to keep them from being washed overboard. After rounding Cape Horn, they stopped at the island of Juan Fernandez to rest for five days. They bathed and washed their clothing in the fresh water, gathered fruit and potatoes, caught fish and eels, and rambled about the island exploring a "Robinson Caruso" cave. From the Jaun Fernandez Islands, their journey took them to the "Sandwich Islands, later known as the Hawaiian Islands, to discharge a load of cargo.

On the 17th day of June, that same year, far out on the blue Pacific, a little daughter was born to Charles's stepmother. They named her Georgianna Pacific Robbins. She was nearly two months old when they reached land.

It was an eventful day, the 31st of July 1846, when the ship, "Brooklyn", sailed into San Francisco Bay, ending the historic voyage which had lasted over six months. The bay and small assortment of cabins or shanties, known as "Wind Breakers", was called "Buena Yerba" at this time. What a sight it must have been to Charles, who was less than twelve years old, as the ship sailed into the bay. The good people of the settlement flocked to the shore to meet the ship and welcomed the weary travelers. They saluted them by firing the cannon at the Fort, and an officer proclaimed in loud tones, "Ladies and gentlemen, I have the honor to inform you that you are in the United States of America." Wild cheers arose from every throat, and the Saints gave thanks for their safe landing and for the finish of their long, perilous trip.

In the book, California Saints: A 150-Year Legacy in the Golden State by Cowan and Homer, "As far as we have ascertained, the Brooklyn Saints were the first colony of home-seekers with women and children to sail around Cape Horn, the first group of Anglo settlers to come to California by water, and the first group of colonists to arrive after United States forces took California." Yerba Buena also became the first city in what would become the western United States to be colonized by Mormon

Many Saints stayed and established a colony, while others traveled east over the mountains to join the Saints in the Great Basin. John Robbins decided to stay and acquired between five and ten acres of land in what they called "Pleasant Valley", now the corner of 4th and Mission Street. He also owned a half-acre lot on the corner of California and Montgomery. The Palace Hotel now stands where they built their home.

On the 24th day of January, gold was first discovered in California. It seems that everyone rushed there with the fever of gold in his blood. The town soon became a thriving, busy place. A Spaniard came and brought a donkey and cart from the Sandwich Islands. John Robbins bought Charles the outfit. It was the first vehicle used in San Francisco as an express or transfer wagon drawn by a horse. With this horse and cart Charles hauled the grips and valises of the incoming gold seekers. He often went home as many as three or four times a day to empty his pockets of his silver. He made as much as $25 to $30 per day. His father, seeing his success, bought a horse, cart and harness from a ship from Sydney at a cost of $1,000. Charles then earned as high as $50 per day. This outfit was the second express wagon in San Francisco.

Charles sold eggs to the people of the community, and delicious pies and pastries, made by his mother at one dollar each. He used to take a common tin pan and sit by the creek and pan for gold. He worked in the gold fields on what was known as "Mormon Island."

Samuel Brennan had brought the first printing press to California on the ship "Brooklyn", and set up the first printing establishment in the West. Charles was apprenticed to learn the printing trade and assisted in getting out the first edition of the "California Star", the first paper ever to be published in California. Charles sold copies of the first issue at 10 cents each.

Charles also belonged to the volunteer "bucket brigade" and was a member of the crew that fought the first three fires in San Francisco. A bucket brigade was a line of men from a source of water to the fire. His life in California was very adventurous. His father had found one gold mine, and his mother had picked up large nuggets of gold near their home. The family became wealthy and decided to return to New Jersey the early part of 1850, when Charles was age 15. John Robbins still owned a farm in New Jersey in and wanted to return to settle his business there.

The Robbins family traveled down to the Isthmus of Panama and hired natives to take them across the Continental Divide to the eastern coast. From Georgina Robbins's journal, it is certain that this is the way they traveled. People were traveling directly across the United States, but it was a dangerous journey because of the desert and Indians. The family also chose to go this way instead of going by ship around Cape Horn again. Georgina states in her journal, "We went south to the narrowest strip of land, crossed over the mountains with the help of hired men and animals, and reached the other side or eastern coast." Georgianna often told her children of this terrible, hazardous, tedious journey. Mules carried provisions, while Charles and the men rode on horses. Hammocks were made out of heavy ducking and canvas, which they stretched on long poles. The natives would carry the women and children in these hammocks, carrying the poles on their shoulders. They traveled over the mountains and through passes so narrow that at times it seemed their bodies would be dashed to pieces on the rocks, as their hammocks swayed from side to side. The natives stopped about half way over the divide and demanded more money than they had been promised for the trip. They threatened to leave the party there if they did not get what they wanted. John Robbins knew that if he granted their demands that perhaps they would resort to the same tactics again, so he refused. Luckily there was an old prospector who had joined them. He threatened the natives with their lives if they didn't take the Robbins family across as promised. The band of pilgrims finally arrived on the eastern coast. John Robbins paid the natives handsomely for their services and they left in good spirits, thanking him again and again. Further facts on the family's journey to New Jersey are unknown. They probably sailed from a port on the Atlantic side of the Isthmus to a New Jersey port.

The Robbins family left New Jersey, crossing the plains by mule team in the spring of 1852. A daughter, Mary Frances Robbins, born March 6, 1848 in San Francisco, died June 11, 1852 and is buried somewhere on the plains. They arrived in Salt Lake in 1853 and in Sept. of that same year Orson Hyde baptized Charles Robbins. His ordinations to the priesthood took place as follows: Elder in 1855, Seventy in Salt Lake, and a High Priest in Logan.

In 1854, John Robbins returned to the eastern United States and brought back wagon loads of materials to sell. Charles was 19 at this time, and the family resided in the 17th Ward, having an adobe home at 58 North 2nd West (now 3rd West).

On March 12th, 1855, Charles B. Robbins was elected to the office of First Lieutenant of Company "Y" of Regiment Invincible, 3rd Reg. Infantry, Great Salt Lake Military District, of the Nauvoo Legion, and of the Militia of the Territory of Utah. Brigham Young, the governor of Utah, signed the document.

On the 22nd of Nov. 1855, Charles married Jane Adeline Young or "Addy" in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City. Brigham Young performed the marriage. Jane A. Young was born Dec. 17, 1834 in Hopkinton, Mass. to Jane Adeline Bicknell and Joseph Young, first President of the Seventies, and brother of Brigham Young. As a young women Jane Adeline Young endured the persecutions and tribulations of the Mormon pioneers along with her family. At the age of sixteen, she crossed the plains to Utah in the company of Wilford Woodruff and arrived in the Salt Lake Valley in 1850. Charles and Jane Adeline lived in the family home while Charles's parents went on a mission to New Jersey and the Eastern States. Over time, Charles and Jane became the parents of nine children. Charlotte Adeline was born Dec. 22, 1856; Henry was born Jan. 18, 1859 but died in infancy; John Young was born March 16, 1860; and Alice Edna was born Nov. 25, 1862. All of these children were born in Salt Lake City, Utah. Charles Robert was born March 3, 1865; Joseph Burtis was born June 28, 1867; Seymour Bicknell was born Dec. 20, 1869, LeGrande was born Feb. 24, 1872; and George Young Robbins was born Feb. 2, 1875. All of these children were born after they moved to Logan, Utah.

In the early 1860's, Cache Valley was beginning to be settled. John Robbins arrived in SLC with a load of goods that he had procured in the East. It is probable that William Godbe, a prominent Salt Lake storekeeper, was involved in the purchase and transportation of these goods. Mr. Godbe then opened a branch store in Logan, sending Charles to be manager. Charles moved his family to Logan in the spring of 1863.

A young lady, Martha Allen, after her conversion to the LDS faith, emigrated from England to Utah in 1861. She was born Sept. 28, 1845 in Thatcham, Cold Ash, Berkshire, England to John Allen and Hannah Willis. In 1864 she went to Logan and joined the employ of Charles Robbins. A year later, Martha became the second wife of Charles. Martha would have been age 20. They were married on July 7, 1865 and had three children. Frank Allen was born Sept. 27, 1867 and died before he reached two years of age, on July 11, 1869. Florette was born July 12, 1869. Martha was born March 27, 1871, but died two days later. These children were all born in Logan, Utah.

Even after Charles moved to Logan, he was active in the militia and was commissioned Major of the 1st Battalion Infantry, 1st Regiment, 1st Brigade of the Nauvoo Legion, the Militia of said Territory in Cache Military District by the Governor. Previously he had participated in the Echo Canyon campaign of 1857. He was one of the men who herded a number of horses down the Echo Canyon, to make the soldiers think they were facing a big army of Mormons. He was recognized as a "crack shot", the best in the division.

In 1867 the Church saw fit to establish a large wholesale cooperative in SLC, to be called ZCMI, with retail cooperatives in outlying settlements. The Logan Cooperative Mercantile and Manufacturing Institution, LCMI, was established to wholesale goods in the Cache Valley area. Charles and his partner, William Goodwin, joined the cooperative with William as treasurer and Ezra T. Benson as President. To this dry-goods store they added a shoe shop, tannery, and butcher shop. This store also housed the first telegraph office in Logan in 1867.

In 1871, Charles Robbins accepted a call to fulfill a mission to New Jersey and the Eastern States, as his father had done. He left Logan in Nov. of 1871 and returned in March 1872.

In 1874, Charles attended the meeting to organize the Order of Enoch, or the United Order in Cache Valley. This order replaced the Cache Valley Board of Trade, until the United Order ceased in 1876. On Dec. 18, 1875 he qualified as postmaster of Logan, which office he held for seven years. He then qualified as the Chief of the Fire Dept. in Logan, which position he held for thirty-six years. He was generally known throughout the state as the oldest fire chief, since the organization of the fire department in 1874. At different times, he was a city councilman and also served as school trustee.

While acting as Chief of the Fire Dept., the fire station had a large bell tower, which was also used to hang up the fire hoses to dry. A large picture of the fire station and tower can be seen in the outer halls of the present (1999) Logan City library. Charles Robbins is shown with a beard in the first row of firemen on the far right. The fire department had three big horses to pull a great big "kettle on wheels". The kettle heated water that turned it into steam. The steam worked a pump that pumped water for putting out fires. As the horse gallop out of the firehouse, a large bell would sound, "clang, clang, clang".

In Feb. of 1875, a tragic accident claimed the life of William Kennedy Robinson, a dear friend of Charles. They had worked together on the city commission. Mr. Robinson left a widow, Harriet Vilate Pitkin or "Hattie", and two young daughters, Maria Vilate and Mary. Harriet Vilate Pitkin was born while crossing the plains in Nebraska on July 30, 1848. Her parents were Sarah Ann Huffman and George White Pitkin. Three years later Charles married Harriet on the 24th of Jan. 1878. Three children were born of this marriage. Harriet Vilate was born April 13, 1879 but died in infancy; William Kennedy was born Sept 7, 1881; and Emma Louise was born on July 10, 1883. All of these children were born in their home in Logan, Utah, which was located across the street from the courthouse.

In the estate of Charles Burtis Robbins the property description, which was left to his wife, Harriet Vilate, is as follows: Commencing at a point ninety-five (95) feet west from the north-east corner of lot twelve (12), block one (1), plat "B" of Logan Island survey; and running thence west to the north-west corner of said lot; thence south on the west boundary of said lot to the intersection of said line with the south branch of Logan River; thence in a north-easterly direction along the north bank of said river following the meandering thereof to the intersection of said river with the east line of said lot; thence north to a point three hundred and fifty (350) feet south of the north-east corner of said lot; thence west ninety-five (95) feet; thence north three hundred and fifty (350) feet to the place of beginning; said lot is further described as bounded by a field street on the north; on the south by the south branch of Logan River; and on the east and west by lines of said lot, and situated in the west half of the south-east quarter of section four (4), township eleven (11) north of range one (1) east of the Salt Lake meridian, of the value of $500.

In 1880, Charles was dropped as an employee of the Logan branch of ZCMI. At that time his first wife, Jane Adeline, sold her Logan home and moved to SLC, mainly because of her sister's and mother's anti-polygamy sentiments. She took her entire family with her except for her married daughter, Charlotte, and lived out the remainder of her life in S.L.C. At the same time she embraced the Christian Science faith, which must have been a great disappointment for Charles Robbins.

Cooperative merchandising declined after 1882 with the passage of the Edmonds Act, which called for the fining and imprisonment of polygamists. This caused the leaders of these cooperatives to go into hiding or serve prison sentences. The cooperatives began to change into small industries. Charles organized the Logan Fourth Ward Cooperative, which was mainly a tannery.

Mary Robinson described her home life as being very pleasant and that her stepfather, Mr. Robbins, was always even-tempered, honest and kind. It was said that he loved children, and they adored him. He had a delicious sense of humor and liked fun and jokes. He was a loving father and husband to his families. Mary often said that her stepfather couldn't have been better than her own father. She named her first son, Burtis, after him. She fondly remembers the family attending horse races, canyon trips, balloon ascensions, theaters, circuses, and parades. They would have sleigh rides and go to the ice rinks to skate. She also enjoyed ballroom dancing and told about many dancing parties that were held above her stepfather's general merchandise store. She said that their home wasn't grand, but that her mother was a good housekeeper and mother. Mary said that she was close to all her brothers and sisters, whether they were full, half, or step siblings.

Charles Burtis Robbins was an even-tempered, quiet, unassuming man, honest and just in his dealings with others. He was kind and devoted to his families, and was a faithful Latter-day Saint. For many years a faithful servant to the city of Logan, he was honored, loved and respected by its citizens. He was dedicated to his church, serving as a Seventy in Salt Lake City, a High Priest in Logan, and also serving as a High Councilor in the Cache Stake in Logan. Charles Robbins was an outdoors man and his favorite hobby was fishing.

Charles Burtis Robbins was an original pioneer, coming to Utah in 1853. All three of his wives were also original pioneers. He passed away the 10th of November 1905 at the age of 71 of typhoid pneumonia, leaving a host of relatives and friends to mourn his demise. Apostle Moses Thatcher said at his funeral, "Conscientious, honest and charitable, he was a splendid man. He was generous indeed. He never saw the time when he would not divide his last crust with either friend or stranger."

All three of Charles B. Robbins's wives lived beyond his death. Jane Adeline Young Robbins, as mentioned previously, left him in 1880 to live with relatives in Salt Lake City. She died there on April 11, 1907 and is buried in the S.L.C. cemetery. Martha Allen Robbins went to live with relatives in Kaysville after her husband's death. She died in Kaysville, Utah on September 21, 1939 and is buried in the Logan City cemetery. Harriet Vilate Pitkin Robinson Robbins lived nine years longer and died at her daughter's home in Tremonton, Utah on March 11, 1914.

Charles Robbins is buried in the Logan cemetery next to his wife, Harriet Vilate Pitkin, and her first husband, William Kennedy Robinson. His grave can be found approximately 140 feet north of the "3A" painted in yellow on the Logan cemetery road.

About Charles Burtis Robbins children with Jane Adeline Young:

Charlottee Adeline Robbins married John Mathews on March 1, 1878. They had eight children, Charles, Eugene Denton, Leon Robbins, Lytton, Edna, Afton (died as an infant), Easton Robbins, and LaNez. Charlotte Adeline Robbins resided at Providence, Cache Co., Utah. She died of breast cancer on Nov. 3, 1934.

Henry Robbins died the same day he was born.

John Young Robbins married Emily May Maiben on Feb. 17, 1886. Their children were, John Lester, Addie May (died as a child), Harry Charles, Alice Edna, and Afton Robbins. John Young Robbins died on Sept 13, 1941 in Salt Lake City and is buried at Wasatch Lawn Cemetery.

Alice Edna Robbins married first Charles Donaldson on April 10, 1882; and second Rudolph Drescher Dumbeck. She resided in Salt Lake City and died March 9, 1918.

Charles Robert Robbins married first Lizzie Rebecca Leaker on May 1, 1889. Their children were Charles Persey, Elizabeth, Marie, and Caroline. Charles Robert Robbins married second Mary Louisa Belnap on Aug. 13, 1941. Keeley's in Salt Lake City employed Charles R. Robbins for 35 years. He died Nov. 12, 1956.

Joseph Burtis Robbins married Ellen Francine France on Dec. 18, 1889. Their children were Calvin Bicknell, Dr. Burtis France, and Thelma Ellen. Joseph Burtis Robbins was president of Keeleys Ice Cream Co., which he helped organize. He died July 2, 1958 and is buried in the Salt Lake City cemetery.

Seymour Bicknell Robbins aka S.B. or Seym married Josephine Solomon on June 15, 1899. Their children were Seymour Kenneth, Emma Louise, and Doris. Seymore Bicknell Robbins died July 30, 1945.

LeGrande Robbins married first Florence May Phillips on April 15, 1892. Their children were Marcus LeGrande, Daffodil, Donaldson Phillips, William Phillips, and Florence. LeGrande Robbins married second Olive Davis on Oct. 3, 1942. He resided in S.L.C. and died Aug. 2, 1947.

George Young Robbins married Margaret Mary Rawle on Dec. 4, 1901. Their children were Adeline Rawle, Clarice (died as a child), Camille Rawle, Alice Edna, Rudolph Dumbeck (R. D.), Fern Rawle, and Marjorie Rawle. George Young Robbins resided in Salt Lake City, Utah and died June 16, 1939.

About Charles Burtis Robbins children with Martha Allen:

Frank Robbins died July 11, 1869.

Florette Robbins married Paul Thomassen on Oct. 30, 1888 in Salt Lake City, Utah. They had nine children, Paul R., Martha, Marguerite, Clifford, Ferris R., Roetta Vilate, Verdon Robbins, Arthur W., and Peter Olaf. Florette Robbins died Feb. 6, 1915 in Kaysville, Utah.

Martha Robbins died in infancy March 30, 1871.

About Charles Burtis Robbins children with Harriet Vilate Pitkin:

Harriet Vilate Robbins died May 3, 1880 and is buried in the Logan City cemetery next to her parents.

William Kennedy Robbins married Hannah Elizabeth Smith on June 30, 1903. They had three children, LaVon, Earl William, and Edna. William K. Robbins was in sales, and was also a refrigeration mechanic for over 32 years for the Arden Sunfreeze Co. in Salt Lake City. William Kennedy Robbins died Sept. 23, 1962 in S.L.C. and is buried at Wasatch Lawn Cemetery.

Emma Louise Robbins married Fred Larsen Peterson on March 4, 1908. They had a hay seed ranch in Mendon, Utah. They had one child, Conrad. Emma Louise Robbins died Sept 22, 1968 and is buried in the Mendon Cemetery.


1 Extracts from a sketch in the LDS Biographical Encyclopedia, vol. 2.

2. History of Charles Burtis Robbins by Fern Rawle Robbins McKendrick, granddaughter of Charles Burtis Robbins and Jane Adeline Young, 1984.

3. Family group sheets of Charles Burtis Robbins and Harriet Vilate Pitkin by C. Austin Seager, grandson to Harriet Vilate Pitkin & William Kennedy Robinson.

4. Photos in possession of Kara Seager-Segalla, descendent of Harriet Vilate Pitkin & William Kennedy Robinson.

5. Charles Burtis Robbins by Carolyn T. Jensen, descendant of Martha Allen and Charles Burtis Robbins, 1996.

6. Our Heritage, by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, pages 74-75.

7. Family group sheets of Charles Burtis Robbins and Jane Adeline Young by Dr. Joseph Evans, grandson.

8. Obituaries of Charles Burtis Robbins, Joseph Burtis Robbins, & Charles Robert Robbins.


Father: John Rodgers ROBBINS b: 11 SEP 1809 in Recklesstown, Chesterfield, Burlington, New Jersey, USA

Mother: Mary Shinn Harper BURTIS b: 15 AUG 1811 in Chesterfield, Burlington, New Jersey, USA


Marriage 1 Jane Adeline YOUNG b: 17 DEC 1834 in Hopkinton, Massacusetts, USA


  1. Charlotte Adeline ROBBINS b: 22 DEC 1856 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
  2. Henry ROBBINS b: 18 JAN 1859 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
  3. John Young ROBBINS b: 16 MAR 1860 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
  4. Alice Edna ROBBINS b: 25 NOV 1862 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA
  5. Charles Robert ROBBINS b: 3 MAR 1865 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA
  6. Joseph Burtis ROBBINS b: 28 JUN 1867 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA
  7. Seymour Bicknell ROBBINS b: 20 DEC 1870 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA
  8. LeGrande ROBBINS b: 24 FEB 1871 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA
  9. George Young ROBBINS b: 2 FEB 1874 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA


Marriage 2 Martha ALLEN b: 28 SEP 1845 in Thatcham, Cold Ash, Berkshire, England


  1. Frank Allen ROBBINS b: 27 SEP 1867 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA
  2. Florette ROBBINS b: 12 JUL 1869 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA
  3. Martha ROBBINS b: 26 MAR 1871 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA


Marriage 3 Harriet Vilate PITKIN b: 30 JUL 1848 in Scotts Bluff, Nebraska, USA


  1. Harriet Vilate ROBBINS b: 13 APR 1879 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA
  2. William Kennedy ROBBINS b: 7 SEP 1881 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA
  3. Emma Louise ROBBINS b: 10 JUL 1883 in Logan, Cache, Utah, USA



  1. Title: Original photo in possession of Kara S. Segalla; 1870 US census for Logan, Ut.
  2. Title: Obituary of Charles B. Robbins