Deseret News, Monday, 25 Jul 1921, p.1

[transcribed and proofed by Ben Parkinson, Feb 2006]

Prominent Local Jurist Stricken by Hand of Death

Judge Le Grand Young, Well Known in Utah History, Succumbs Suddenly in Weber Canyon.

Judge Le Grand Young, 80, pioneer Utah jurist, died at his mountain estate in Weber canyon at midnight Sunday night. Judge Young had been suffering from a cold for several days and went to the canyon for a rest. He grew gradually worse until death. The body was brought to Salt Lake this morning and taken to the S. M. Taylor undertaking establishment.

With him at the time of death were three daughters, Mrs. Jasmine Freed, Mrs. Lucile Reid and Miss Afton Young, and Lester D. Freed, a son-in-law.

Funeral services will be held at 1 p.m. Wednesday in the LeGrand ward chapel.

Le Grand Young was born in Nauvoo, Ill., December 27, 1840, the son of Joseph and Mrs. Jane Adeline Bicknell Young. In 1850 he came to Utah with his father’s family, crossing the plains with Captain Snow’s company.

During his boyhood he attended the Utah schools and when about 24 years old he began the study of law. Later he became a student in the office of Hoge & Johnson in this city. In 1870 he was admitted to the bar and began the active practice of the law. After practising a short time he entered the law department of the University of Michigan from which he was graduated in 1874. In 1863 he was married to Miss Grace Hardie. To this couple were born six children, Joseph H., Le Grand. Jr., Grace, Lucille, Jasmine and Afton.

Judge Young was a Democrat in politics. In 1895 he was elected one of the judges of the Third judicial district and took his seat January 1, 1896. Later he resigned because of the inadequacy of the salary. For two terms he was a member of the City Council. Fifty years ago Judge Young drew up the articles of incorporation for the Utah Southern railroad. For years he was chief counsel for the Union Pacific railroad in Salt Lake. He was also president of the Emigration Canyon railroad. In 1869 and 1870 he filled a mission to New York and Illinois.

Mrs. Young died in 1908. Since then Miss Afton Young has kept house for her father. His son, Joseph H. Young is president of the Denver & Rio Grande railroad.