Phineas Howe Young

[notes from the Museum of Church History and Art]

Born December 31, 1847 in Winter Quarters, Florence, Nebraska

Died March 13, 1868 in Salt Lake City, Utah

Phineas How Young was born in Winter Quarters in Nebraska on December 31, 1847. He was the son of Joseph and Lucinda Allen Young.

His father was a painter and glazier by trade. His father was also one of the first First Seven Presidents of Seventy in the First Council of Seventy and a brother of Brigham Young.

1848 - Young's family arrived in Salt Lake City after travelling across the plains by wagon.

Young studied art under Danquart Weggeland.

He painted on any material that he could find, mostly cardboard. He also had to mix his own paints from raw pigments and other materials.

His most favorite subjets to paint were landscapes and portraits.

Phineas Howe Young was sickley and lame most of his life. On March 13, 1868 he diedof pneumonia at the age of twenty.

Some Paintings of Phineas Howe Young:

Brigham Young

Self Portrait

Lucinda Howe Young

Augusta Adams Young

The Fortune Teller


Phineas Howe Young, From the Spinning Wheel, Volume 9, Number 7, July 1953, page 20 PQ m270.1 ALA #55 n

100 Years of Utah Painting, James L. Haseltine RES Q759.192 H347o

Research Completed May 20, 1977

By Michael H. Hunter


Colonel Argus, "Early Day Art in Utah," Young Women's Journal, vol. 10 (1899), 558-62

[p. 562]

About 1865, Phineas H. Young, son of "Uncle" Joseph Young, sprang suddenly into public favor by th eexcellence of his brush work. His career, however, was short-lived, as he died soon after attaining his majority. He was a pupil of Weggeland's, and his master had great hopes for him. His death removed one of the most promising young artists that Utah has produced.


Robert S. Olpin, Dictionary of Utah Art (Salt Lake City, 1980), p. 293

YOUNG, Phineas H., was a Brigham Young nephew. Born in Winter Quarters, Florence, Nebraska in December of 1847, Phineas was the son of Joseph Young, a painter and glazier brother of the great Brigham, and arrived in the Salt Lake Valley with his family in 1848. Eventually studying art with Dan Weggeland in his teens, poor Phineas had little time however to finish some promising though immature landscapes and genre pictures (plus one known portrait of his uncle) before dying of pneumonia in Slat Lake City on March 13, 1868.