Seymour B. Young Sr.
Note: I will be adding transcripts as people contribute them. Contact Ben Parkinson, webmaster, at "feedback at parkinsonfamily.org" (replace "at" with "@"). If you have additional histories of Seymour or other family members, I would like to add those too.
Seymour Bicknell Young
- Seymour Bicknell Young, Diaries, around 40 volumes, Historical Department Archives, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. These mix family and Church business so are restricted. I have notes on several volumes, particularly on his 1857 mission to England and his experiences in the Union Army.
- ———, Diary, 22 Feb.–22 Apr. 1876, transcript, in Miriam B. Murphy Papers, 1970–1988, Utah State Historical Society.
- ———, Letter, 9 July 1910, relating events of his life, 3 page typescript on First Council of Seventies letterhead
- ———, Letters to Seymour B. Young Jr., missionary letters, c. 1891, in possession of Benson Young Parkinson
- ———, Note on Experiences Building Utah Central Railroads, in Kate B. Carter, ed., Hidden Treasures of Pioneer History, Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1952, 1:24–25
- ———, Account of Joseph Young's death and funeral, 6-pages, in Joseph Young Papers, University of Utah Special Colletions
- Emily M. Brinton, Letter to Young Women's Journal, 17 Jul. 1902, Young Woman's Journal, vol. 13 (Oct. 1902), no. 10, p. 465; note on Seymour's first mission, and an 1857 photo of Seymour and companion
- "Seymour B. Young," in Andrew Jenson, comp., Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia (1901), 1:200–202
- Seymour B. Young Jr., "The First State Mental Hospital," 26 Jan. 1938, 1 page typescript.
- Maryan Lambert Watrous, "Dr. Seymour Bicknell Young," 8 page typescript; edited version appears in Kate B. Carter, ed. Our Pioneer Heritage, (Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1958), 20:59–62.
- Louine Young Cromar, "Life of Dr. Seymour Bicknell Young," 2 page typescript. Heading on page 2 is "Dr. Seymour B. Young's Family."
- Preston Nibley, Biographical Sketch, in "Clifford E. Young: Assistant to the Council of the Twelve," Improvement Era, March 1957, 145–46
- "Seymour B. Young Joins Father in High Church Council," LDS Leaders of Prominence, Church News, 9 Feb. 1963
- Hortense Young Hammond, Interviewed by Leonard R. Grover, 15 Mar. 1980, Charles Redd Center for Western Studies, LDS Polygamy Oral History Project, 21 page typescript, BYU Special Collections.
- Hortense Young Hammond, Interviewed by Scott Hammond, 1981, Charles Redd Center for Western Studies, LDS Polygamy Oral History Project, 1959–1982, 14 page typescript, BYU Special Collections.
- Newspaper Obituaries, from photcopies from the Daughters of Utah Pioneers.
- Obituary, Improvement Era, Vol. Xxviii. Jan. 1925 No. 3.
- Lennie S. Riter, comp., "The Life Sketch of Seymour Bickwell Young, Pioneer of 1850," information furnished by his son, Clifford E. Young, and his granddaughter Edith Young Harris. On file at Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum.
- Edith Young Harris and Miriam Young Farnsworth, "Seymour Bicknell Young," submitted 2001, on file at Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum.
Ann Elizabeth Riter Young
If you have histories of Seymour B. Young Sr. or other family members, or if you can offer help scanning or transcribing, please contact Benson Young Parkinson, webmaster, at "feedback at parkinsonfamily.org" (replace "at" with "@").
- Levi Edgar Young, "Elizabeth Riter's Christmas," in "Christmas Day on the Old Frontier," Salt Lake Tribune, 24 Dec. 1922, society section p. 9
- ———, "My Mother," Improvement Era, May 1958
- ——— and others, "History of Ann Elizabeth Riter
Young, Pioneer of 1847," submitted to DUP by member of LaBrea Camp, 8 page typescript;
- Seymour Bicknell Young Jr., "Ann Elizabeth Riter Young," 2 page typescript, dated 3 June 1932, with comments added by Louine Y. Cromar on 1 Feb. 1981.
- Maryan Lambert Watrous, "History of Ann Elizabeth Riter Young," 1982, on file at Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum.
Back to Main Page